The Town Hall of Estepona has completed the administrative process to award the works for the redevelopment of the promenade in its central part, a work that will have a budget of 2.6 million euros and that will start in September so as not to interfere with the season summer, as announced Friday by the City Council.
Thus, the actions will be carried out along the stretch that goes from the roundabout to the intersection of Avenida Andalucía (in front of the San José school) and Avenida Juan Carlos I, and will consist of “the renovation of the sidewalk, of the installations, the change of urban furniture such as benches, pergolas, fountains, garbage cans, etc.; and the replacement of old lights with LED lights that are more respectful of the environment and which will represent a saving in ‘significant energy,’ they pointed out.
In addition, “the complete renovation of the García Caparrós square is envisaged and “this will also mean all the replacement and modernization of the supply and sewerage networks”.
The works “will be developed in an area of action of 19,645 square meters” and “will involve a complete transformation and aesthetic improvement of this central space, which will be integrated into the urban area of the city”, as indicated by the local administration .
Thus, the objective of the project is to “give homogeneity to all this space with the use of modern, efficient and sustainable materials and elements”, as well as the reorganization of the places to promote the pedestrian use of this enclave of the city, as has been done in the urban center with the remodeling of more than 17 kilometers of urban roads.
In this sense, the town hall has pointed out that in the sections where the width allows it (from the Iberia building to Juan Carlos I Avenue) “large shaded areas will be created”, while in the part that goes from the Post Office to the restaurant El Pescador “it will be improved by lowering the planters to ground level, thus obtaining a space open to the sea”.
The works will be 80% financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), while the remaining 20% will be paid for by the Municipality of Estepona with municipal funds.